Roasted Garlic Potato Soup

I had posted the other day how I would love to try to make a Roasted Garlic Soup. I did make the soup, and to me it was good, to everyone else it was lacking something. My son said it needed something else in it and it tasted like the garlic sauce on a pizza (hmmm, maybe another creation idea ) , my daughter said, maybe over pasta. You really have to like garlic though. I purchased a whole thing of garlic cloves at the Sams. It looks like a long sock, full of white garlic heads of cloves.

To save the rest of the soup, I decided to amp it up a bit and make it more filling. I like the smooth soup, but I think I am a chunky kinda gal.



Here's what I did:

Roasted Garlic Potato Soup

Ingredients:

3 heads of garlic
olive oil
sea salt
foil

3 potatoes (diced with skin on, more vitamins)
1 onion (diced)
2  carrots (15 small ones - diced)
2 stalks of celery (diced)
3 cups of chicken broth
pepper
mashed potatoe flakes (just in case you need to thicken it)

Instructions:

First take a piece of foil (large enough to wrap a head of garlic in (like a bundle). Put some olive oil in the middle with a bit of sea salt. Cut 1/3 off the bottom of the whole garlic bulb. Put in cut side down in the oil and wrap up, leaving just a small opening on top (to vent)  Roast in oven for about 45 min at 350.
(I do this step and then prep the rest)

When your garlic is roasted (you can do this any time, and keep in fridge until you are ready).

Take a soup pot and put in 1/4 cup of onions in with a bit of butter to make tender, add in roasted garlic (just take the whole head and squeeze and the garlic should just pop right out.)

Add chicken broth

Take immersion blender and smooth all this down.

At this point I added the onions, celery, carrots, and diced potatoes (I left the skins on). I bring all this to a boil.

Season and serve.

(If it is not thick enough for you, you can slowly add instant mashed potatoe flakes.)

You have to like garlic to like this soup. I thought this was a wonderful thing. Just remember that if you are a garlic lover, you may want to roast a bit more to smear on some crusty bread. Definately a great meal on a cold day, hearty, filling and cheap to make.. Just not a date night meal.

Enjoy!

Also danger warning: Your house will smell like Roasting Garlic...and make everyone hungry..

Comments

Popular Posts