Broccoli and Chicken with Basmati Rice



Broccoli and Chicken with Basmati Rice

Day 2 of my Menu

I have begun my 6 week quest of following my menu. Staying away from the store; In turn I save money, gas and time. More time to work on my blog. I can only guess how much we like that. I hope!

Last night on the menu was my Chinese version of Chicken and Broccoli. Sounds a bit complicated but I wanted to show you all my shortcuts to make it.

Chicken and Broccoli

Ingredients:

3 chicken boneless breasts

1 large bag of frozen broccoli

2 cups of chicken broth (or 3 cups of water)

5 chicken bouillons

Soy sauce

Tsp of minced garlic

½ cup cold water with 2tsp of cornstarch mixed (another word for slurry)

* this made a huge pot. All 6 of us ate and I even put up a few servings. The rice left me with about a quart left over. I turned it into fried rice with black beans for lunch on Wednesday.

To Preparing to make:

I take the bag of broccoli out of the freezer and leave on the counter to thaw. If you use straight from the freezer I would recommend thawing in micro or steaming until partially tender.

The chicken I pop in the freezer an few hours in the morning until it is a bit frozen; it makes it much easier to cut. Cut it thinly and let finish thawing.

Instructions:

Put the frozen (thawed) broccoli into a large soup pot. Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth (or the three cups of water), add in the chicken bouillon. Start to cook broccoli until just almost tender.

In another pan put some olive oil and drop in the chicken sauté until tender.
Combine the two; the chicken and the broccoli in the same pan. Drop in your garlic and a few tablespoon of soy sauce. I use tongs so not to break up the broccoli. Bring to a boil and add in your cold water slurry with the cornstarch and stir gently. Cook until it thickens a bit.

I serve this on white basmati rice.

*THIS IS A MUST HAVE ITEM IF YOU LOVE RICE *

Rice in a Rice Cooker

I love my rice cooker.

Take 4 cups of basmati rice and put in bowl of the rice cooker. Rinse the rice, three times. Then add 6 cups of water and a few drops of olive oil (keeps it from sticking to bad on the bottom) stir up and turn on. The rice cooker will turn itself off and it is perfect every time.


I hope you enjoyed my quest and even give it a try.
Any feedback is appreciated.

So for now.
Enjoy the moments and try something new, go outside that box. I promise you the door is always open…

Comments

Popular Posts