Stuffed Pepper Casserole




The beginning of fall always leaves me homesick for my family. I wish that we had been able to choose and live in WV all those years ago, but jobs were slim and we had to pick the next best thing so I have lived in GA and have for many years. I have been through a terrible time with my new hips and finally after 2 years I am now able to be walking a little more. Sadly I haven’t been home in years. I miss my WV home with my mom and family. I take most of my inspirations for my meals from what my older sister cooked and what my mom would make us when we were little. My younger sisters also love to cook and they can really cook. I guess it is just genetic. I just kind of vamp them up to make them my own way for my family. But I always duplicate the love my mom put into them. Sometimes it is just a certain taste or even a smell of something cooking that can levitate you all the way home.

Here is a nice gloomy, cold day kind of recipe.

Stuffed Green Pepper Casserole

Ingredients:

2 green peppers (diced)

½ onions (diced)

1 small can of tomato sauce

1 can of diced tomatoes (juice and all)

½ teaspoon of garlic

½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning (any will do, or just oregano)

1 lb of ground beef (I use sirloin, but you can use turkey too)

3 cups of instant rice (made according to box. I used the brown rice)

Instructions:

In a pan sauté the meat when ready, drain the grease.
Add to it the onions, pepper, and garlic. Sautee until tender.
Next add the can tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices.

Mean while make the instant rice. I do it in the microwave because it is faster.

Pour in Meat mixture into the finished rice (mix well) and pour into a casserole dish.

Squirt ketchup on top (I know it is not very grand, but the taste is what I remember from growing up)

Optional is to sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella cheese.

When ready for dinner, pop it in the oven and warm up for 20 minutes at 350.

It is that stuffed green pepper taste without all the mess.

_________________________________________________________________


As you enjoy the cooler weather, make those comfort foods. They sure do bring you back home.

Comments

Ok, you totally have my mouth watering!! This looks delish!!

Popular Posts