Sausage, Spinach, and Cream Cheese Pinwheel



Look at that picture.. it says yummy, yummy, yummy. First I wish all of you were here sharing this with us. I have never made pinwheels with crescent rolls. Kroger's this week had a good sale and I had an oodles of coupons. I decided to give it a try.

First off, it doesn't look much like a pinwheel, but I am thinking that is because I put a little too much filling. None the less it was still good, I made a double batch of the filling and put some in fridge to make for my other bunch later in the day. I am thinking I will be able to split that up into another batch. Each batch made me 16.

It probably wouldn't had been so much but I added the spinach, I couldn't help myself. It is one of those vegetables no one can really taste and they don't mind the green. So I do what I can.

I also used low fat cream cheese, reduced fat crescents. They couldn't tell the difference.

Sausage, Spinach, and Cream Cheese Pinwheels

Ingredients:

1/3 of a roll of sausage ( I made the whole roll and put up the extra)

1/3 of a pkg of cream cheese ( I again used it all)

1/4 of a minced onion (really needs to be minced, makes it a nice onion flavor)

1/2 cup of frozen thawed spinach minced down(drain) (this I put in my processor and made really small)

Instructions:

1) Saute sausage with onion, until sausage is cooked and crumbly.

2) Add in minced spinach ( I processed it like the onions) gives you less of a big ole spinach bite.

3) Saute until all is warm.

4) Let mixture cool for about 10 minutes and blend with your cream cheese.

5) Prepare a foil line baking sheet with non stick spray to put your pinwheels on.

6) Open crescents and unpeel in one piece, I lay mine on a piece of wax paper so it doesn't stick and I can cut it.

7) Pinch and Seal all lines on the dough.

8) * again I had to drain my mixture, it took on a bit of water from the spinach.
Take the mixture and spread inside the rectangle leaving about 1/4 inch all around.

9) Then roll up, like a jelly roll. I use the wax paper to pull up and roll.

10) Then Cut. I cut first in 1/2 the which gives me two, then half again gives me 4. and so on until you get 16 pieces.

11) You gotta be quick when you get ready to lift them and put on sheet pan, about an inch or so apart cause they puff up. Lay them up so you can see filling and the pinwheel effect.

12) Pop in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes..

Here's another shot.....Mine look sad.. but they were a great little breakfast. I can't wait for my bunch after school.

*was thinking mine might have kept their shape better with less and maybe I should have cooked them in my muffin tin. Try that tonight, yes, I will!



I hope everyone is enjoying my journey as a foodie.... I just love sharing and this blog gives me the vehicle to share what I am up to. So enjoy.

Get out there and make it yours.. everyday!

Comments

Popular Posts