Sauerkraut Soup



Sauerkraut Soup

I know a very kinda strange thing, but I was thinking about what I could do with my cans of sauerkraut that I bought on sale. I already did the sauerkraut and hot dogs together in the crock all day and with mashed potatoes, a favorite of my childhood.

So I was hankering for something good and maybe a soup to last me for the week. I am on WW and I also try to keep low carb. The ww points for this came to 2 for a cup and the my fitness on the carb end was 12 minus the 5 fiber and it was a 7 carbs cup of soup. I most probably could have passed on putting the cannelloni beans in it and came a little lower carb . I also used only one 15 oz (14.5) in my soup, and I feel that I should add another can. If I can't get any of mine to try it, or eat it, I will add that extra can so I can get a good taste how I like it for the week.If you don't like the taste of sauerkraut then I wouldn't try it. I love it. I found that it had that sourish taste that the oriental hot and sour soup does. I may even add hot sauce to my next bowl.

Let me tell how I did this.

Sauerkraut Soup

What you need

1 can of sauerkraut (14.5 oz) but you may want more, drain. You can also rinse to keep the sodium down.

1 can of cannelloni beans

1 can of carrots (you can cut fresh I just didn't have any)

1 onion, diced small

3 stalks of celery diced

5 pieces of bacon (cut in small pieces)

1 turkey kielbasi ( or what you like) (cut in bite size pieces)

1 tbs of chicken bouillon ( I am now using the pasty one you keep in the fridge)

1 box of chicken broth (4 cups)

2 cups of water

Pepper

Italian seasoning (just a dash)

Parsley (just a dash)

Red pepper flakes (if you want some heat)

What do do

1) I rendered my bacon bits and drain 2/3 of the grease away.  Leave in pan

2) Add in the onion, celery, kielbasi and saute with the bacon and it 1/3 of its rendered oil

3) Saute until tender.

4) In a crock pot, put the can of cannelloni beans, can of carrots, can of sauerkraut, chicken bouillon, chicken broth, garlic, water. and the seasonings.

5) Then add the hot mix of stuff to the soup.

6) Add one bag of frozen cauliflower (I also when the soup was finished I went in and cut the cauliflower up a bit more into bite size. I may also add another bag)


If you try this let me know that I am not crazy. I actually became a fan of it.

So, For now,

Keeping it simple, because the simple things are the best.

Louise




Comments

Popular Posts