Philly Cheese Steak (something like it)

Let’s Beat this Heat together.

Wow, what a summer. We are sweltering here in Georgia. I am hoping this blog post finds everyone happy and healthy. I am constantly trying to stay up on the ideas that come to mind that are helpful for my family and then of course I want to share them with you guys.

I tried this summer, get this: dehydrated watermelon. Blah. Stupid Idea, not worth the time and effort.

I think that there is something grand to a great big ole piece of cold, sweet, dripping watermelon in this kind of weather. Not shoe leather. Oh well, if it had to be done, I did it.

Now on to the next great idea! Will share it for sure.

Today, I am sharing another quickie idea for the summer. I just did this, this weekend and it was a hit.

Philly Steak style sandwich with Peppers, Onions and Cheese.

Turned out to be a great meal for the moment and another freezer ready quick meal (sandwich) for those on the go.

I make these in a big batch so I have some to put in the freezer for another time. You can just put the leftovers in freezable containers for so many or you can use my individual idea anytime.

The recipe is really simple.

Philly Steak Style Sandwich with peppers, onions and cheese.

Ingredients:

2 boxes of Steakums. (I use those but I am sure there are other ones, I looked for Generic)(I break these up and add a bit of garlic to them and brown them up. You could leave them whole. I usually break them so I can get them done with less mess.) (I have done them on my grill and kept them in their whole shape, but I find in the long run, they get eaten so fast it really doesn’t matter)

2 onions (cut long ways, so they kind of like a petal like, not diced)

2 green peppers (julienned)

Cheese (we used shredded mozzarella; you can use the shredded cheddar to get more of Philly Cheesesteak taste)

Sub rolls (I have used hamburger rolls in a pinch and even hotdog buns to give it that sub look)

Instructions:

In one pan:

Sautee the peppers and onions in a bit of butter and olive oil. (The olive oil keeps the butter from burning)Sautee them till they are soft (they start to make the kitchen smell incredible)


In the other pan:

Cook the steak-ums (until they aren’t pink anymore, either way you prefer. Left whole or broken up). When finally browned, add the peppers and onions to this pan and toss together. Now you have the main sandwich mixture.

For eating at this time you can prep the buns with mayonnaise and place mixture on and put the cheese on top. I wrap each on in foil so it can steam and the bun is soft. They turn out yummy every time.

For freezing individually:

Take a cookie sheet and line with wax paper. Place the steak, pepper and onion mixture and place a portion (to fit a sub sandwich roll, is what we use) and then top each with a slice of cheese you like (we use mozzarella or provolone) Lay the cookie sheet in the freezer and let these individual things flash freeze. Remove and wrap individually in wax paper and slide into a gallon freezer bag. When the time comes you take one out, microwave for a few minutes, till cheese melts and place onto a fresh sub roll. I always take mine and roll up in foil and let sit a few minutes so it will steam up and soften the roll. Yummy!


This is a really good idea for a quick meal, with less mess and trouble. Already made and ready to go.

I have 3 children as you all know and they are hungry 24/7 and I really like knowing what is in what they eat.

Well I am off to find a new something to cook, or try to cook.

Every day is a new day to try something new. Taste, smell, feel, and do new.

So all my friends get out there and do one thing today, which makes you smile.

Enjoy the moments.


Comments

Popular Posts