Sausage Gravy and Biscuits -day 4



On day 4 of this menu, I kept it pretty simple. One of my family's favorite is Sausage Gravy over biscuits. Might be a southern thing, but don't knock it until you try it. Even I use alot of shortcuts. Sometimes, this is just not enough time in a day.

There a few ways to do the gravy.

Sausage Gravy

3 pkgs of white gravy mix or peppered gravy mix (the kind that just add water)

1 pkg of sausage

1 cup of milk

3 tbs of butter

salt and pepper

Instructions:

Easy Way:

Brown and crumble up the sausage in a deep pan.
When brown start making the gravy from the package. It usually says boil one cup water and then mix, mix in 3/4 cup of cold and add. I pour in three cups water into the hot cooked sausage and then mix the cold water with the mix.
Don't forget you are using 3 pkgs so you have to use 3x's the stuff and then a cup of milk.
Add the butter and start stirring until thicken. If gets too thick add more milk. This makes quite a bit. I just put it up and it gets used on the rest of biscuits, toast, or potatoes.

The still Easy Way:

Brown and crumble up the sausage in a deep pan.
When brown you start the gravy.
Put in 3 tsp of butter (I just eyeball it) and then add flour..usually 3 tbs to start and make a roux.
Cook a few minutes then start adding milk. I add about 4 cups and keep stirring until thick.
You decide, if not thick enough I add a bit more flour. Be sure to season with salt and pepper.

I serve this on biscuits. I use the already frozen Pillsbury Biscuits. Homemade would be great, if you got the time. Bisquik also has a good recipe on the box. They don't need to look pretty.


For the rest of this meal, I had left over baked potatoes and sauteed them with onion and garlic. I also made everyone a cheese omelet. A complete filling meal. I even have leftovers for the weekend.

So I am still keeping with my menu and no trips to the store, yet...I hope I make it through the weekend. Staying on track is hard on the weekends.

Have a great weekend and like I always say, Seize the moment, enjoy life...until we talk again. Much love to all!

Comments

Popular Posts