Kale Lemon Pesto






Kale is every where, and greens are now being called the power foods. I love Kale Chips, and Kale in soup. I decided since I bought a bag of cut Kale, that I would try something else with it.
My idea was a Kale Pesto. I thought about it a bit and this is what came out of it.
It had a nice taste to it especially after the lemon zest and the sea salt. It tasted great on the spaghetti squash. (blogged previously)

Kale Lemon Pesto

Ingredients:

Kale ( I used the already cut bag. I used three big hand fulls)

1/4 cup of water

1 lemon

3 tablespoons of minced garlic (I again used what I had in fridge, already minced)

1/4 cup of parmesian cheese (shredded)

1/4 cup of olive oil (I again used what ever I always have on hand)

1/4 of pecans ( I chose pecans because that is what I had, that or almonds.. i bet almonds would be good too) 

sea salt

Instructions:

1) Toss the Kale in a microwave bowl with the garlic and 1/4 cup of water. Nuke for 5 minutes. You have to do this, because it takes the bitter and the toughness out of the kale and the garlic is not so strong or bitter.

2) Drain Kale 
3) Toss it into the blender bowl. I use the bowl that came with my immersion blender. 

4) In the blender bowl , put the cheese, pecans, olive oil, zest of the lemon. 
Turn it on and blend it together, half way open scrap down and taste. Salt and pepper to taste.


Put into a container until you want to use it.
I actually used it right away on the hot spaghetti squash. I used the lemon juice to squirt on top and it was really a great meal.
It was one of those meals where you are satisfied but not full feeling yucky. I ate one half of a spaghetti squash with half of the kale pesto.
I am saving and hiding the other half for later. 
The Kale Lemon Pesto was really a different taste. I really like that it was easy and healthy.

So wow, I have really powered food today. 
Again, if you haven't tried something new, you must. To try new things is to grow and learn. 
I grow, learn and share, cause it is what I do....
It really is just that simple.


Here was my lunch..
 (that was 1/4 of the squash, not too bad..)


Comments

Unknown said…
Looks good. I really need to get one of those immersion blenders. Maybe for Mother's Day :)

Popular Posts