Spagetti Squash






Spaghetti Squash, this is the picture of it when it is finished cooking. I have shied away from this because I could not imagine a spaghetti like they were all writing about. I was thinking it might be like the zucchini spaghetti and be watery. Always drain. This one that I made, I just drained the water from inside that I put and then right into a dish.
I ate mine right away, I ate both bowls almost before I could get a picture. I had to put it down. It was so yummy, a little sweet, but with the Kale-lemon pesto I made and little sea salt, it was perfect. If I was making for dinner I would put in a pan with a little water and then mix in the pesto, and warm it up.

This is a picture of the actual squash. It would actually feed 4 if you like small portions, which is not the case at my house. So I got 2 servings out of this. It is kinda pricey, but as an alternative, all things in balance it is a great vegetable meal.

so let me tell you how simple this is, my sister schooled me on it last week..

Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash

1/2 cup of water

Instructions:

1) Split the squash long ways. Be careful it is like cutting into a pumpkin. Lay it on a towel so that it doesn't slip.
Split into two halves.
2) At this point take a spoon and gently scrap the seeds and yuck out.
see yuck and seeds are just like pumpkin

3) Place one half in a microwaveable bowl. If you don't have a microwave, you can bake these. I will find out more on that for you next time.
Fill the half with water.
4) Cover with other half. Pop in microwave for 15 minutes.

5) It will be done. It will BE VERY HOT. Carefully pour out water. At this point you can let it cool and then scrap out with a fork.
(At that point today, I was so excited I did it holding it in a towel and yelling ouch...)
Looky, looky...it really looks like spaghetti.. I scraped with a fork and then finished with a spoon getting all the way to the skin.
It gave me double this amount (I placed in colander to see if there was any water, nope, only the bit I poured out of the finished squash.)


Now at this point, you can when your ready, throw in saute pan and sauce with what ever you like.

It had a sweet taste to it, but the texture was really close to spaghetti.
With this one, I made a Kale and Lemon Pesto. I will post that as soon as I can write it up.

Wanted to share this because so many of us are trying to eat more healthier and this is really a great pasta swap. Everything is in moderation and balance. So I figure if you try this then one day, maybe you will do a meatless Monday.

 I am now intrigues with spaghetti squashes and beets, I really need to figure out how to garden this. I wonder how the spaghetti squash would freeze.
If anyone wants to add to this self discovery of making spaghetti squash feel free to drop me a line.

Until then, Make it yours.. and the small things that taste so good. Get out there and don't be afraid and give it a try. It really is that simple.






Comments

Popular Posts