Roasted Eggplant-Mushroom-Onion- and Tomatoe Stromoboli wwpp=3pt per slice





Roasting Vegetables is a really great way to get a new depth of flavor. It isn't just the plain old veggie taste. It brings out a whole new flavor, rich, deep, sweet...I have been trying to stay on my WW program and vegetables are a great way to bulk up on meals. I am not saying I am turning vegetarian, but it is happening more frequently at my house.. The "Meatless Meals"   whoooooo! Now if you have a significant other that was raised on meat and potatoes, you may feel my pain. My husband thinks it should all fall in that category.  Roasting is a new way to introduce a new vegetable. Kale chips, divine. Asparagus, yuumy. Broccoli a whole new taste.

I roast all mine the same way. Toss with olive oil and a little sea salt...pour onto parchment paper (or a non- stick pan..) mine always stick and foil isn't my friend either.

In this recipe I will break this down to the Roasted Vegetables first and then what I made with them.

Roasted Vegetables

For this recipe I used an eggplant, mushrooms, onions and a few tomatoes.
I cut them up into bite size cubes (I didn't peel any, but you can), tossed with a little olive oil and sea salt.
Put in oven for ohhhhh about 35-40 minutes, at 400 degrees...

For the eggplant, I have read you can salt it and leave out for 30 minutes and it will get rid of the liquid, but I was rushed and didn't do it.
I also know you can use grape tomatoes, I used tomatoes that were getting ready to be too ripe. Save...another rescue from the depth of the refrigerator.

When these were done you can then do what you want with them, top a pizza, a potato, or make a calizone or even try my Stromboli.

I actually ran out of time yesterday and I didn't even get to make anything with them. I layed them gently in a container and put in the fridge for today.

Roasted Eggplant - Mushroom-Onion and Tomato Stromboli

Ingredients:

The already roasted veggies

1/2 cup of fat free mozzarella cheese

1 pizza dough ( I actually buy those frozen, pre-made dough loaves in the freezer section at the store. I take one loaf out and squirt a gallon storage bag with Pam and leave it in it on the counter and as it thaws it stays in the bag. You can then squeeze it down and use it then or store in fridge for a quick meal) I added ww points and it came to a total of 27 for the whole loaf. There is also a pizza crust, pre-made that I get at big lots for 99 cents.. it is a total of 12 for the whole crust.. so even a pizza made of this is a better deal on points. I like variety, so next time maybe a pizza..

Instructions:

1) Spread out your pizza dough as far as you can on your parchment paper.

2) Put roasted veggies (if there is liquid, try to not pick up too much) and fill all the way down the middle.


3) Top with the cheese.


4) Then pick up one side of parchment paper and fold over the middle, this brings one side of the dough up to cover the middle mixture. Make it release from parchment paper.


5) The get under parchment paper and roll Stromboli over onto last side and it will seal it closed.

6) Press down ends. Poke a few holes for steam.

7) Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Until golden brown. Mine seems to be a little runny so for the last 10 minutes I rolled the heat up to 400 and it kinda caramelized what was liquid...

Let cool and cut. I cut mine in half and then into 12 slices.

Here is a picture showing the size of my piece. Sometimes, especially when you are dieting it is important to understand a portion. This is also on a small size plate. This is just an information report. (laughing out loud!)


For the ww numbers I figured it would be about 3 points per piece.

I found this to be really tasty. And yes, the two pieces I had were very filling. With a salad it could actually be a great entree.

***Warning Note***
Put up all extra portions, because they taste even as good cold..ruttt rooowww!

As you try this, you will come to the conclusion that there are quite a few other combinations you could try.

Broccoli and cheese
Asparagus

You could also pare it with a meat... steak bits and mushrooms .. you would just have to adjust the numbers.


Comments

Popular Posts