Different Foods.....Thursday

Sooooo If I don't blog enough I am going to add another day to it...

I am going to try a different food, every week, something I usually don't eat or something that I have never tried. I am trying to expand our food choices.

This week is:

Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah)

Description:
It is a grain. Looks like bird seed actually. I picked up some online to give it a try. I had researched it and it is to have lots of vitamins and protein.

How to I made it:
You have to rinse it about three times till water runs clear. I used a small sievey strainy thing. Then I put it in a bowl. I used 1/2 cups to 1 cup water. I then microwaved it for 7 minutes and stirred. I went a few more minutes to absorb the water. It will look done when the seeds all have curly things coming out.
I let it then cool.
When it was finished I added diced tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Took a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Sea salt and tossed. Refrigerated.

Taste:
It wasn't bad at all, it was kinda like tabouli grains. It made a really refreshing salad. It was so much better the next day, cause it had soaked up all the flavorings.

Who ate it:
I loved it. Husband was indifferent (I am sure if it was covered in ketchup he would have ate it all ) The kids thought it looked icky... SEE WHAT I AM UP AGAINST>>>>>LOL

I would have this again. I think probably would be good with chicken broth and serve like a rice dish.

If anyone gives it a try, let me know what you think?

I am always up for a challenge. If you have a certain food you think I should try let me know, and I will look for it and give it a go.

Thanks always for reading.

Comments

Ann said…
What a great idea. I will be looking forward hearing about the all the new things you try.
Try to pick things most of have probably never heard of , that way we can get educated and feel like worldly readers. LOL

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. :) I knew you were out there in blog land but couldn't remember the name of your blog.

Popular Posts