2013 Summer Fried Green Tomatoes Indulgence no ww points.




I think every time we make fried green tomatoes, it should be listed as the year with it. I think this is one of those recipes that evolve every year. A little seasoning here, a little less. A stouter tomato..you get the drift.

This year I picked up some mighty stout green tomatoes, big too. They turned out to be the best one's I have ever had. Or are they, or because they are so seasonal, that your taste buds forget the great tender taste of the tomato with the cornmeal and fried. What else. I really thought I would cut the calories and try to bake, but I couldn't humanly distort a great, seasonal, fried green tomato. So I indulged.

2013 Summer Fried Green Tomatoes

Ingredients:

4 nice sized green tomatoes (slice them about 1/4-1/2 inch)

    (Depending on how you like your tomatoes. I slice my kinda thick, I get about 4 slices and then some ends, I try not to waste anything.)

1/2 cup of cornmeal

1/4 cup of bread crumbs

1 tsp of season salt

1/2 cup of egg substitute..( you could probably use a few eggs)

1 inch of oil in a pan


Instructions:

1) Slice your tomatoes.

2) Put into beaten egg (I put them into a baggie and shake and coat them well with the egg)

3) Then I dip each piece into the cornmeal/crumb mixture.

4) Heat up oil first and then drop them in (I get about 8 in a pan)

At this time, I watch how fast they turn brown and how thick I cut them. If they are thicker cut, I turn heat down a bit to make them tender.)

Keep an eye on them.   Be careful when you serve them, they are very hot on the inside. This is one of those times, you might want to look at it a bit, before you enjoy them.   I made these today for lunch. All my kids ate them. I even have a few for the Daddy to try when he gets home. You can't really put these up and they must be eaten when they are made. But what a treat.   So again, for the second time today.. get out there...make something for yourself...indulgent.. Happy Summer!

Comments

Popular Posts