Wednesday's Veggie Cleanout

Hey everybody,

Every Wednesday or Thursday or around those days, I go through my fridge and collect all the vegetables hanging out, cooked or even fresh. If I do not have anything planned for them for the next 4-5 days then I start to work them into something else.

I usually on a weekly basis roast a batch of all kinds of vegetables. Onions, garlic, green pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, small tomatoes. Whatever I get my hands on. We eat them usually for the first time, with a nice roast or chicken. The leftovers, I try to take at least half and make a vegetable Stromboli.

What is left is usually put in a pot with a bit of water and cooked until soft and then pureed. I then take this and 1 lb of hamburger, 3 cups of oatmeal and a bottle bq sauces and make miniature meatloaves. The kids never know.

I seem to think in the summer the veggies never last too long. So I usually buy a bag of spinach. I chop it up and put into two small container, I pull out during the week and just add to foods that I am cooking. The kids really are quite used to this. I throw some in the spaghetti, baked ziti, eggs, even the macaroni and cheese.

On Veggie clean out day, I take all my leftover spinach and finish chopping the rest, put in a pot and cook it down. At this point I either baggie it in quart bags and freeze. Or sometimes I go ahead and make my spinach, ricotta, garlic and onion mix. I use this on pizza, or roll ups.

Today with my spinach I made my breakfast pizza and threw in shredded spinach. They ate it all.

Well here is to Wednesday....Have a great one...make it yours...

Comments

Popular Posts