Taco Bake

"ANOTHER FOOD SAVED MEAL" (translates into refrigerator/leftovers or freezer items)

Taco Bake



Items that I keep on hand in my freezer are usually a leftover or a more than necessary for that meal and I put up in a container to make another day.

I had some taco meat left and I froze it just for times like this. I had about 2 cups of taco meat. You really don't even need that much, but I used it all because I made a big pan of it.

Taco Seasoning

I also had 1/2 jar in the fridge of Ragu cheese sauce (we had broccoli and cheese a week ago).

1 can of tomato diced from the can.

1/2 jar of salsa.

1/2 cup of shredded cheese left in a bag.

Kidney beans that I had just made this morning. (I also freeze extra when I can) (re fried is okay too, for a hidden bean thing, cause mine don't like them I pureed and put into the meat when I added all the ingredients.)

1/2 onion (left in fridge)

8 tortillas ( I used the high fiber ones)

Topping: Shredded Lettuce, diced onions, sour cream

At this point, you could also throw in all kinds of goodies, else you have hanging in fridge.

Instructions:

In a pan I put in the onions with a dash of olive oil and sauteed. Then I added the meat (thawed), a can of diced tomatoes, beans (or bean puree) and more taco seasoning. Warm all this up.

Line a baking dish with foil (easier to clean).

Pour in a bit of salsa to cover bottom.

Lay in a tortilla, I used two large ones and if fit the bottom.

Then layer in some of the meat mixture.

Layer of salsa (sparingly)

Layer in some Ragu cheese sauce (if you don't have this any cheese works, hmmmm.. Velveeta!)

Lay in two more tortillas.

Lay in rest of meat mixture, cheese and salsa

Finish top with the last four tortillas to cover it all.

Salsa on top and shredded cheese on top.

Cook 350 until bubbly.. around 30-40 minutes. Let cool a bit before cutting, takes better as it sets and cools down.


I just had to come and share this. It really turned out great. With me on a diet (well watching calories) it was very filling. No one knew it had beans and no one, but no one, knew it was high fiber tortillas.

As I was sitting here thinking about this recipe, I thought of some good ideas.

As a smaller serving start it in a pie pan (they are just about the size of a tortilla.

For a personal size, take a cup and press it upside down on the tortilla and make three circles (like you do in biscuits)
     Do the same kinda layering in the cup and then microwave until bubble and cheese in melted.


 Be sure to put your favorite toppings. Sour cream, cheese, olives, onions, tomatoes and lettuce.

I hope you enjoyed this, "another food saved meal" 



Comments

Popular Posts