Zucchini Boats with a Greek Twist wwpp=2pts



I went to Aldi's this week and found an assortment of fresh veggies. They were all so tempting. I chose a 6 pack of small zucchini's ( maybe between 5-6 inches long). With the thoughts of zucchini sticks, or zucchini chips dancing in my head, I brought them home.

Thinking this morning on what I could do to make this an all together different dish, and what kind of flavors I could play with.  I am finding out that spices can make a dull dish, really great. I have a favorite Greek Spices that I have been using when I make a gyro tasting meat loaf, to make gyros (haven't made that in a while, I may have to pull out my recipe and remake it into a ww friendly (dish)







So this morning, I pulled it all out and here we go...

Zucchini Boats with a Greek Twist     wwpp=2

Ingredients:

5 small to medium zucchini's (about 5-6 inches long)

6 oz of lean 93% ground turkey

1/4 very small diced onion

2 cloves of very small diced garlic

1/4 cup of egg beaters

1/2 cup of cooked rice ( I actually had leftovers, the next time I try this  I will probably try a wild rice)

1/4 feta cheese (small crumbly)

Tzatziki Sauce (recipe below for a 1 pt per 2 tbs)

Instructions:

1) Cut all the zucchini's in half long ways and scoop out the meat (leaving a nice enough firm boat)

2) Chop up all the zucchini insides, the onion, garlic and put into a pan.

3) Put in turkey and continue to saute, incorporating it all together.

4) At this point I put in about 3 tbs of the Greek seasoning.  When turkey was done and the veggies softened I added in the precooked rich.. Stirring this altogether.

5) Taste it and see if you would like more Greek Seasoning. ( I of course add more)

6) Put mixture in a bowl and add 1/4 of egg beater and mix together.

7) Spoon into the boats. Lay boats in a Pam Sprayed dish.

8) Top with Crumbled Feta and Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes.



Thought you might like to see it getting ready to come out of the oven. I could have crumbled a bit more.

When I did the numbers I came to one point for the zucchini boat filled and another point for the tzatziki sauce.

Tzatziki Sauce   wwpp=1

Ingredients:

1 cup Sour Cream fat free  (16 tbs in a cup- just for info sake)

1 cucumber diced up

1/2 onion diced up

2 tsp of lemon juice

2 tsp of garlic salt

Instructions:

I took the cucumber, onion, lemon juice and garlic salt and pureed it, with my immersion blender cup. You can hand grate these into a bowl and mix.

Add to the sour cream. I like letting mine sit in the fridge to marry the flavors.

Add a bit to the stop of the stuffed zucchini. I actually only ate one, for breakfast. The flavors were wonderful. The warm Greek seasoning which absorbed itself into the zucchini and the turkey. Mildly tamed by the rice. Then a cool Tzatziki Sauce pouring down on the side. What a yummy combination.
I see this on my menu this summer. I am actually thinking you could do a zucchini lasagna with these flavors. If I give it a whirl I will be sure to share.

Well I am off to finish my Monday, got about 6 loads of laundry to do.

Stuffed Zucchini is on the menu tonight. I am thinking with a greek inspired salad. Kalamri olives, cucumber, tomatoes, onion and balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Sounds so yummy..



Comments

Popular Posts