Baked Veggie Egg Rolls -- wwpp=1.5 a piece (3 for 4)

 Egg rolls. One of my favorite memories of my life in NYC, was the Chinese take-outs. Now of course theirs were fried and really outrageous fattening. I am not saying that you have to forever stay away from them. Just make them a treat. My favorite things was 2 egg rolls and a diet coke. I guess I thought the diet coke would wash away the guilt.

These baked ones, I know are a far cry from the real ones. I found them to be just the right thing to curb that egg roll beast.

Baked Veggie Egg Rolls

Ingredients:

12 Egg roll wrappers

1 small package of coleslaw mixed cabbage in the bag

1/2 of mushrooms ( I used fresh so that would have a bigger bite, more meatier taste)

3 cloves of garlic (minced)

1 tsp of fresh ginger (actually I keep a jar of ginger in my fridge)

2 tbsp of soy (lower sodium variety)

4 scallions

1/2 bag of julienned carrots (already precut from store)


*If I had any I would have also diced up some water chestnuts..just for the crunch

Instructions:

In a pan I add the the scallions, garlic, and ginger, saute just for a minute to soften.

Add in entire bag of cabbage ( you can do this in small batches until it is all in the pan.) Me no, I live dangerous, I add the entire bag.

Add in 1/2 Bag of carrots julienned (already cut this way)

Splash soy sauce on top and keep the entire mixture, turning it over and over, cook slightly. Just to mix the flavors.
Drain any excess liquid off, and let cool.












Now we get to wrap them.

Pre-spray a foil lined pan so that you can lay them on it.

Look at what you have in the pan and kinda divide it into 12 portions (you could get a bit more out of it, but we like a big bit of one.) This also is a great mixture for making the won tons, fried won tons, and the dumplings.

Lay out a wrapper. Fill in the middle with the mixture. (make sure you drained alot of the moisture out of it.)



Dab with water on right tip, left tip and top tip. Fold wrapper from bottom up. Bring up bottom point about 3/4 up wrapper, tucking mixture down into it.



Then fold right and left tip in about an inch and then roll up to top tip. Sealing it with a dab of water.



Place them seal down on foil cookie sheet.

Spray them very lightly on top. Pop in the oven at 375 for about 10-12 minutes. Watch them as they get brown. I usually flip them over to make them crunchy and brown.

You can have 3 of these "puppies" for 4 points.

I make a dipping sauce of 2 tbs of Asian Chili sauce and 1tbs of soy. Sometimes, I just eat them with the Chinese mustard. They packets I have put up from all my Chinese eating.


Here's a picture of my biggest critic. He enjoyed his, and mine.




These wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers are really versatile and fun to use. When I think of a new thing, I will always share..

You can count on me!





















Comments

Popular Posts